Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New and Old

Thought I would show you another project I'm working on. This is the first place mat I've finished quilting..
There are 5 more all with different fruit.
These were some printed pieces that came to be from a friend who cleaned out all her quilting stuff. Thought they would be good for the table.

Then here is the first double wedding ring quilt I made..Started this one after I finished the butterfly quilt. I had so many scraps and this is what I used. I think I only bought some muslin for the top and backing
It is all hand pieced and hand quilted. This isn't one that you could even sew the rows together on the machine. I did sew the binding on the machine and it is scalloped all around.

I tried to keep the big rings in one color. As you can see these are very much fabrics from the 50's and many were from clothes that I had made for myself and my daughter. The date I have on this is 1960- 62,
I don't know if you can see the quilting design in the center but it is rather intricate. I used my Mothers cardboard templates for this. Cutting the colored pieces out holding the fabric and template in my hand and with scissors cut around the fabric so I'm sure a lot of them weren't perfect.

Here's another closeup of the blue ring.. I doubt if there are many people making quilts like this any more. Just to time consuming. But we expected to take a couple years to make a quilt. We weren't working on two or three projects at a time. I usually finished a quilt before I started another. That means the quilting an all.
This was on our bed until we moved into our home that we built up here on the mountain in 1964 and then I had made a Grandmother's Flower garden quilt. Which I will show you next time. So come back.

7 comments:

Tazzie said...

Just beautiful Eileen, your quilt is a real heirloom. The fabrics are just lovely, and your quilting looks stunning.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

atet said...

That double wedding ring quilt is simply stunning. Wow. I hope someday I can quilt half so well.

antique quilter said...

Oh this quilt just makes me so happy to see.
Love that you did it all by hand and hope it will be a family treasure for many years to come.
what wonderful memories this quilt holds for you.
Kathie

canquilt said...

A very beautiful quilt and such beautiful colors and quilting. I hope whoever inherits this from you doesn't cause a family brawl.

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is so pretty. I love the look of hand quilting.

Kairle Oaks said...

Boy, Eileen, tht DWR just puts a smile on my face. How inspiring! Thanks for sharing...can't wait to see your next quilt!

Kim said...

This is still the pattern that tugs at a bride to be. Some good things never change. You do fine work Eileen!