Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In the Garden


First off, Bonnie put up the third clue to the Orange crush mystery quilt. There were only 44 in this group and since I had plenty of the light triangles already cut and some of the larger ones it didn't take to long.

Here's a sample of my second set and the third set. It was a little tricky as you had to make 22 going one way and 22 as mirror images. But they are done.
Plenty scrappy.

Then walking out in the yard there was several different flowers blooming so thought I would show you what is the beginning of Spring in Western Maryland
The view from my little porch outside. The old dogwood has sparse blooms but looking in the background at my neighbors woods you can see her blooming dogwood. At least all the leaves are about half way out in the woods. Now we can't see Boonsboro lights at night. That small woods shelters us.
Here's my first azalea which is sort of protected along the carport wall. The vinca ground cover is growing nicely.

This is the shrub at the top of the hill by the carport. The new leaves are this beautiful bronze color. Photographed red but probably because I took this last night when the sun was directly on them and far in the west. When this plant get bigger it gets white flowers that hang down in bunches. I have another small one on the other side of this bank.
Last Saturday a friend and I went plant shopping at a really neat nursery run by Mennonites. They have the most delicious plants. I was looking for perennials and this caught my eye. I have to get ones that take semi shade because of all the trees I have.
Pretty little purple flowers

Here's another picture of the pinks with the dark pink stripe through them. Tried to get a closeup so you could see.
I have 4 varieties, There's the deep pink on the right and I have a pure white which hasn't really taken off yet and then the lavender which is up on the top of this old stump. These are great ground covers.

This has been a hectic day. The painters were suppose to come and paint the overhang, window frames and the carport roof and stain the small porch and steps. But they didn't show. Sure hope they come tomorrow or else they will have to wait till the middle of next week since we're going to be gone.

My Hubby is telling everyone I'm taking him to the kennels. Hope it is a good one.

I have so many things to do in the next two days I doubt if I get a chance to read any blogs. Did read a few yesterday but it all takes so much time.

Now have to go get my two youngest grandson's birthday cards ready to mail They will be 14. One on the 4th of May and the other on the 6th. My how time flies.

I probably won't be back on here until I return from my little trip to the West Coast. Santa Cruz has a beautiful beach, sure hope we get a chance to at least walk a bit on it.

See you all later.

5 comments:

Jules said...

Hope you have a great trip! I know one of your brothers will be heading to some time at the beach too. :) Still don't understand how he could leave it but he said he was in love back east.... ;)

Amanda said...

Isn't it just wonderful when the spring flowers start to bloom. I always get itchy feet when spring comes and an urge to get going and do something new myself. Have a good trip and enjoy catching up with your family.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your site and thought "WOW" when I saw your flowers, then Carol's April Block, and then the Orange Crush. I don't have a blog - but have to say I think you have a soul mate in MN - Dee

Anonymous said...

Small world. I've read your blog a few times. Your flowers are beautiful. Hope you had a great time in Santa Cruz. I grew up in Aptos, it's just a few miles south of Santa Cruz. I always thought I'd never be able to live away from teh ocean, but I live in Sacramento now. I do love to return to the beach though when I get a chance.
Chris

Anonymous said...

Small world. I've read your blog a few times. Your flowers are beautiful. Hope you had a great time in Santa Cruz. I grew up in Aptos, it's just a few miles south of Santa Cruz. I always thought I'd never be able to live away from teh ocean, but I live in Sacramento now. I do love to return to the beach though when I get a chance.
Chris