Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Challenge

A couple days ago Kim asked if We had done a challenge. It got me thinking about the best one I had entered in my guild.

I belonged to a Guild in Bowie which is 75 miles south, because my DD got me into it as she was going there. Every year they would have a challenge. This time they had lists of Nursery Rhymes in a bag and we were to pick out one and make a quilt to represent that nursery Rhyme. Mine was The Old Women in a shoe,had so many children she didn't know what to do. We didn't have any other restrictions.

I decided to make it Sun Bonnet Sue. What a time I had finding some fabric with children on it to cut out and applique on. These were like dolls and different dresses. I ended up using everyone on the half yard of fabric I bought. It was fun. Then of course had to put a quilt in it. Very Tiny. Thought the tumbling blocks made a good border. What they do is put them all out at the meeting . No one was suppose to know who made which one. Then everyone voted on their favorite.

I see from the label this was in 1997 and I won

1st place viewers choice
1st place applique
2nd place design

Not bad. This is the little story I put on the label.

There was and old women "SunBonnet Sue"
Who lived in a shoe
She had so many children
She didn't now what to do.
They helped her make a Quilt and went out to play
Sue hung the quilt up for all to see
The children were so proud as could be.

I had to stop going to guild when my husband became disabled and the gas started to go up so high


Kairle said...

Congratulations on all of the awards for this quilt, Eileen. It looks so fun!

Ironically, when I was in Boston they showed us the grave sight of Mother Goose in the Granary burial grounds. Of course, when I came home and looked it up online I found that this woman was is only one of several who could have been the real Mother Goose.

Kim said...

I love that quilt, Eileen! The tumbling blocks really frame it beautifully too!

mar said...

too cute!!

Tina said...

Beautifully done.